BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport
1080 Guided Learning Hours
Equivalent in size to three A Levels.
Content: 14 units of which 10 are mandatory and 4 are externally assessed.
- Mandatory content (78%)
- External assessment (42%)
The qualification is a two-year, full-time qualification designed for Sixth Form learners, to be delivered in conjunction with the Solihull Moors Football Club Academy, that meets entry requirements in its own right for learners who want to progress to higher education courses in sport before entering employment.
The content of this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics to ensure that it supports progression to higher education. Employers and professional bodies have also been involved and consulted to confirm that the content is appropriate and consistent with current practice for learners who may choose to enter employment directly in the sport sector.
What will I study?
The mandatory content allows students to concentrate on the development of their practical skills and the broad knowledge required for entrance into higher education programmes in sport.
Learners will study the following mandatory units:
- Unit 1: Anatomy and Physiology
- Unit 2: Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
- Unit 3: Professional Development in the Sports Industry
- Unit 4: Sports Leadership
- Unit 7: Practical Sports Performance
- Unit 8: Coaching for Performance
- Unit 9: Research Methods in Sport
- Unit 19: Development and Provision of Sport and Physical Activity
- Unit 22: Investigating Business in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Unit 23: Skill Acquisition in Sport.
In addition, learners will then study six further units from a range of optional units (selected by the Academy) that have been designed to support progression to a variety of sport courses in higher education and to link with relevant occupational areas. These may include:
- Sports Psychology
- Practical Sports Performance
- Coaching for Performance
- Sports Event Organisation
- Sports Performance Analysis
What could this qualification lead to?
Learners who have completed this qualification in two years may progress to further learning at Level 3.
The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting, or contributing to, admission requirements for many relevant courses. Learners can progress to higher education on full degree single or combined courses, for example:
- BA (Hons) in Sports Development and Management
- BSc (Hons) in Sports Management
- BSc (Hons) Sports Business Management
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Leisure Management
- BSc (Hons) Sports Science (Outdoor Activities)
- BSc (Hons) in Exercise, Health and Fitness
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Psychology